Here then, is a sequence of steps you should follow if you want to make sure that you stand out and get the best chance possible to get either a part-time or full-time job right off the bat:
- Find out if any of your friends or family members know anyone associated with UPS. Your biggest mistake would be to not at least try to find out if anybody has a connection. The world revolves around who you know. Make no mistake about it; it is the truth! The sooner you come to terms with this, the easier it will be for you to land a job. If you are able to develop a connection through a friend or family member, contact that person and explain to them what your intentions are. Ask them for guidance and if there's anything they can do to help you through the process. If you don't have any connections before you submit your UPS job application, that's perfectly fine. You are going to make your own connections.
- Now, it's time to follow up on that connection or make a connection yourself. Visit your local UPS center and ask to speak to someone in management or the person you know there from speaking with friend or family members. Try to make the best impression possible by dressing appropriately and being friendly and personable. Ask them as many questions as you can, time permitting, and leave them your contact information before you walk out the door. Additionally, let that person know you will be submitting a UPS application online.
- Now that you have turned in your application online, it's time to follow up. Wait approximately two weeks for them to call you back to schedule an interview. If three weeks have passed, then it's time to strap your boots on and go find out what the status of your application is at the present time. Do not call on the phone to verify this. Remember, people have jobs and they are busy. They are not going to be able to field tons of telephone calls inquiring about the status of their application.
- Once you're scheduled for an interview, you should have already prepared yourself to answer the many different types of questions interviewers have a habit of asking. Get a friend or family member to help you and hold a mock interview where you can answer questions they might ask you during the real interview. The more prepared you are, the better you will perform at the interview.
- Thank the interviewer and let that person know you will be following up within the next few weeks. Make certain you exude confidence and appear enthusiastic about the possibility of acquiring a job through your UPS job application. You'd be surprised at how many people are absolutely lifeless when they are going through the interview process. A UPS job is one that requires enthusiasm and motivation regardless of the type of position you are going after. If you can convey this feeling to the people holding the interview and anyone else coming into contact with you, you just may have a great shot at getting hired quickly.